You can get out of the microsoft bubble.

odielag
Site Admin

You can get out of the microsoft bubble.

Post by odielag »

(edit: because of electro-magnetic interference I don't suggest you completely disable a Trusted Processor Module)

If you want to get out of the Microsoft bubble you can run Tails directly on hardware with the Trusted Processing Unit disabled.
odielag
Site Admin

Re: You can get out of the microsoft bubble.

Post by odielag »

It's tricky because many modern processors come with a Trusted Processor Module. This is a mini processor on a traditional processor that creates a barrier between storing sensitive information and how the processor normally functions.

Trusted Processor Modules can work independently from the main processor to do things like communicate with the internet and access any device or hardware.

I think one technical shortcoming of the TPM is that nomatter how good it is it can't read all data all the time instantly so there will always be some level of randomness.

The good thing is that with a TPM activated that you trust it creates a dyson cage sort of field around the proccessor and itself so that the processor isn't subject to electro-magnetic interferrance.

That way the computer could be more reliable
~~ but your trusting in the CPU maker, who has access to that cpu if any, and that your hardware will get the support it needs when it interacts with the CPU.

Also, if you look up Trusted Computing on Wikipedia you can see some of the potential downfalls of a TPM as indicated by Richard Stallman. As far as I know Richard Stallman is the only person standing between computers being able to function and complete anarchy.